• Advertisement

Oil dipstick broke

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Oil dipstick broke

Postby lukemclaughlin » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:12 pm

I have a 4JG2 and my oil dipstick has snapped at the lower of the two rivets on the handle. How can I remove the broken part of the dipstick? It’s about 8-10cm from the top of the tube. I don’t have needle nose pliers.
lukemclaughlin
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1DT Lotus

Re: Oil dipstick broke

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:32 pm

Where the dipstick tube enters the block you will find a bolt holding the tube in place. Undo this and pull out the whole assembly
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lukemclaughlin » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:37 pm

What’s the best way to access this bolt? Do I need to RTV the dipstick tube when I reinstall? Cheers
lukemclaughlin
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:26 pm

long socket extension from memory. I cracked my dipstick tube at the joint. There is an o ring on the tube
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lukemclaughlin » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:10 pm

Awesome thanks, 12mm bolt holding the tubes brackets at the top and at the bottom of the tube, used a 3/8” socket with a short extension and regular 12mm socket so the total length was just longer than a 12mm deep socket. I accessed the bottom bracket from behind the front left wheel, slip under the running board and got both arms in to the area where the bolt was. My top bracket was broken so when I was driving the tube must’ve been vibrating and damaged the dipstick over time. There’s two O-rings at the bottom of the dipstick tube which keep it in place in the block. I removed the bottom bolt holding the tube in and also removed a hose halfway up the dipstick tube, I then pulled the tube straight up and removed the dipstick, I didn’t have to remove the top bracket bolt as the bracket was broken off, I reinstalled the tube just for the meantime till I can get a new tube and dipstick. Thanks for the help geeves
lukemclaughlin
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engines and Exhaust