• Advertisement

Oil leak

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Oil leak

Postby 17brno » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi guys
96 lotus bighorn manual 3.1 diesel
I have a oil leak coming from the line that connects to the back of the alternator , not on the braided line but where it goes into a thin metal pipe it is leaking about 6inches from the join.
Where does this pipe go to and how hard is it to replace it?
ie what do i have to take off to get it out ,hoping it is not too difficult as i sure aint a mechanic!
Cheers Ivan
17brno
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: Isuzu bighorn 92,Isuzu bighorn 96 lotus

Re: Oil leak

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:15 pm

can you get a photo. If the pipe is leaking and its not the joint the pipe must be replaced but directly above that are the turbo oil lines and the leak could be there. Ive just replace an alternator and dont remember a 6 inch long metal pipe. The 2 oil lines on the alternator one goes to a high pressure oil feed on the block, the other a drain to the sump. My guess is you are talking about the top one. Best way to get to it is to remover the 2 aircon belts and battery then unbolt the air con assembly from the block and place on the battery tray Dont undo the pipes on the air con as this will break your aircon and cause severe frostbite.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 17brno » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:50 am

Hi geeves thanks for your help its much appreciated
I tried to get a photo but couldnt get a clear one
The pipe i am talking is the one that is attached to the back of the vacume pump on the alternator via a banjo clamp i think they are called,it goes straight down the side of motor the then does a right angle bend and heads toward the rear of the motor it is leaking directly above the front diff.
I thought the oil filter was leaking because it was covered in oil but when i changed that and gave everything a good clean i could see it dripping onto the front diff
Cheers ivan
17brno
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: Isuzu bighorn 92,Isuzu bighorn 96 lotus

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:52 pm

New hose. Either from a holden dealer or custom made by a hose repair shop
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm

The pipe goes to the rear of the motor in front of the oil cooler, connects to where the turbo oil feed is aswell, just get a secondhand one, there not common to blow
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Engines and Exhaust