• Advertisement

Engine identification

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Engine identification

Postby Fr8liner » Fri May 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi guys, so I’ve done a bit of searching and I’m finding out the 4jg2 engine has a few different set ups. My 97 bighorn plaisir has the 4jg2 engine with turbo, intercooler, and electric injection. I’ve found a different 4jg2 engine that has turbo, no intercooler, and mechanical fuel injection. Another 4jg2 iv seen has the turbo, intercooler, and mechanical fuel injection. Personal I’m finding it very hard to put a name on my engine without writing a novel to find manuals, diagrams etc. anybody else noticed this with the engine? And if so, is there a short name for my engine for example a 4jg2tei or a 4jg2t or 4jg2ei? If I look up 4jg2 engine, I can never find the identical engine/information/model as mine. Geeves mentioned mine would come under the trooper manual category but I look that up and all there engines are the same as mine but always slightly different as in the fuel injection is different or one has or has not got intercooler and do on. It’s hard to find fast accurate diagrams etc when I’m hunting info for my model of engine. Your thoughts on this appreciated
Fr8liner
Isuzu Baby

City: Paeroa
Vehicle: 1997 bighorn plaisir

Re: Engine identification

Postby geeves » Fri May 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Tricky question. The basic 4jgt engine doesnt change but it may come equipped with a turbo and intercooler and it will have a mechanical fuel pump which might have electronic control. The catch is some Australian and Europe spec engines had a gear drive instead of a belt. That means everything on the front of the engine is different
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Fr8liner » Fri May 28, 2021 5:59 pm

I see, the fuel pump on my engine is a Zexel VE rotary pump 4JG2T electronic. If you look that up, that is what’s on my engine. So for fast reference how do I i.d my engine to find the exact information I require?
Fr8liner
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Fri May 28, 2021 6:06 pm

Different set ups for mu's bighorns and [wizards and Mu's no intercooler with this engine in them] bighorns Jackaroos intercoolers 94 -96 mechanical injection pump after 96 electronic pump.
Also wizards and bighorns being a auto gearbox has a TPS on the injector pump and kick down cable.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Fri May 28, 2021 6:19 pm

Ive never seen a manual that covers the electronic pump. What information do you require?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Fr8liner » Sun May 30, 2021 7:01 am

Was just looking for the engine (goto) name, if I search 4jg2 etc nothing comes up with my specific engine setup.
Fr8liner
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engines and Exhaust