• Advertisement

Bighorn 4JG2 (UBS69) EGR Delete Hissing & General Questions

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Bighorn 4JG2 (UBS69) EGR Delete Hissing & General Questions

Postby Esuzu » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:22 pm

Hey guys,

My first post after spending a few weeks reading some really useful stuff on here.

I'm in Auckland, New Zealand and a few months back I bought a 94' Bighorn (4JG2 UBS69, 320k km, manual) as a project car for my dad and I. It was bought from a landscaper who had it for a number of years and was being serviced by a local shop up North (semi rural location). Long story short, it's dusty, dirty, has a bit of white smoke from time to time at high revs so needs some work. There are some parts that would definitely not pass a WOF at a VTNZ station where I live. Anyway...

I started this weekend by deleting the EGR with a stainless kit bought from Ebay. As I was installing the EGR plates, I fixed the visibly cracked lines around the EGR and air filter housing and connected them to what I think were the original positions (in blue in photos). Most of the lines were in poor condition so were cut and connected. Both the EGR lines were cracked and loose so when I was working my way to tracing them both disconnected from the module(/solenoids?). However as the truck is very dusty I could figure out the original position of the lines that need to be blocked by looking at the clean male connections of which there were only two.

I knew how the truck ran before deleting the EGR but do not know know the impact of fixing the lines as both were done at the same time. All I can note now is:

Before deleting the EGR:
- Idling was sporadic and dipped down to where the engine vibrated noticeably, especially during cold starts.
- Turbo sounded like it kicked it later in the RPM cycle (per normal).

After deleting the EGR:
- Idling is much smoother and constant.
- Turbo is now much more noticeable and whistles almost constantly during acceleration.
- Air conditioning rev up still works.
- Brakes work fine.
- Slightly better acceleration between 0-70km/h.
- Issue: There is an air leak/hissing noise from module 1 (per picture) after a 20-min test drive on the motorway. It sounds like its coming from the black cylinder part on the module attached to the air intake housing.

The turbo looks healthy, no shaft free-play and the owner did mention he replaced it at 160k km mark.

I tried to find instructions and diagrams on the routing of the lines as well as any instructions on EGR deletion but was unable to find solid information. So if anyone could help with these questions that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is the routing of the lines correct (per picture in blue)?

2. Why is there a hissing/air leak coming from module 1 (around he black cylinder part)? Should this be deleted completely? It seems like its air escaping from the turbo cycle and it dies down after a few minutes the engine is turned off. I only noticed it when I stopped the car on my driveway.

3. Could there be any other issues with reconnecting all the lines after years of not being plugged in?

PS. I say modules because I am not sure what it is, some say solenoids but apologies for incorrect identifying parts.

For the pic:
In red are notes on how it was before.
In blue (and in picture) is the after.

Much obliged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esuzu
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1994 Bighorn 4GJ2

Re: Bighorn 4JG2 (UBS69) EGR Delete Hissing & General Questi

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:34 pm

The lines look close enough. The main line around the solinoids can go any way Its just the lines to the devices the solinoids work that matter. I think you have 2 solinoids there with the line from each egr going to each solinoid. As you no longer have egr just remove the lines and join together so anything further down still works. If its the end of the line seal it by your favorite method.
Turbo wine on hard acceleration I would probably ignore unless its very loud. It will be percussion noise from a less than smooth housing with the impellor passing at high speed. I was told the turbo on my 94 bighorn was on its way out when I bought it in 2016. It hasnt changed. The new turbo I put in my Wizard wined from new. The noise to watch out for is a wine like a jet engine winding down after you turn off
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Esuzu » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:36 pm

Thanks, Geeves. Much appreciated. Would you happen to know what the hissing noise might be from the solenoid? Guessing if I reroute and get rid of it it won't be an issue. Will give it a go and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Esuzu
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1994 Bighorn 4GJ2

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:38 am

It will be leaking vaccum Most solinoids have 2 outputs one off one on
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust