• Advertisement

4JG2T Injector pump/tach pickup questions.

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

4JG2T Injector pump/tach pickup questions.

Postby Sags13 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:37 pm

I'm working on an engine swap of a 4JG2 turbo into my 1999 Rodeo (American).

I'm 90% done, engine is installed and running great, I just have a few wiring and instrument things to sort out. I have a copy of the service manual which has answered most of my questions, but I've run into a couple things I cannot find in the manual or searching the web, and electrical systems is not my strong suit.

I'm trying to adapt the gas/petrol tachometer in the Rodeo to work with the diesel. I've got a converter box from Dakota Digital (model SGI-100BT) to make that happen but I've got a couple issues.

1st I need to calibrate the converter. It looks like the tach pickup on the injector pump comes off the timing gear right? If so I need to know how many teeth are on the timing gear to calibrate the converter box, I can't find that info anywhere in the manual or the web.

2nd, I've hooked the converter box up per the directions for a timing gear pickup, but the box says it is getting no input signal. I don't know what I've done wrong. From the 2 tach wires coming off the pump, I took one to ground and one to the converter box. Is this wrong?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints. This is not a common engine in the States and so resources here are limited.
Sags13
Isuzu Baby

City: Fairbanks, Alaska
Vehicle: 1999 Rodeo

Re: 4JG2T Injector pump/tach pickup questions.

Postby Sags13 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:41 pm

One more question.

Anyone can find or link me to the vacuum valve I need to hook up to the high idle actuator? I would like to make that operational before wintertime in Alaska gets into full swing.
Sags13
Isuzu Baby

City: Fairbanks, Alaska
Vehicle: 1999 Rodeo

Re: 4JG2T Injector pump/tach pickup questions.

Postby andy120 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:18 pm

the tach pickup on all of ours are on the injector pump block side. on another diesel i had, the number of teeth on the timing gear screwed it all up. is the box outputting a voltage on the wire to the sensor? idle up comes from one of the 2 solenoids your drivers side (dont think they will be different lhd to rhd). that should be getting a signal from the heater unit via relays.
andy120
Isuzu Junior

City: Gore
Vehicle: 2 manual Wizards + 1 auto

Return to Engines and Exhaust