• Advertisement

Oil Leak

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Oil Leak

Postby Motang2 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:43 am

I have a 1995 Bighorn, 5spd manual, 4jg2t, done nearly 200k. Not long ago l replaced the clutch kit and rear mainseal (even though it never leaked before). NB. I did not replace the seal at rear of crankcase.

It has only just developed an annoying oil leak (teaspoon) on the floor after a long trip. I think it it's coming from the Bell housing but not sure? I do not want to rip the clutch out again just to fix this as l can live with the drip but l thought maybe someone might have some thoughts on this?

I am also looking at replacing the front mainseal and timing belt etc.

Everything else runs well and l plan to keep it for some time. Cheers
Motang2
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn

Re: Oil Leak

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:50 pm

Check first its not running down the outside of the bellhousing. Is it engine of gearbox oil? Either way if its coming from inside the bellhousing there is only one way to get at it. You could try some stop leak but for a teaspoon every now and then I would just top up the oil
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Motang2 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:07 pm

I am not sure of the source but it looks like engine oil as it is darker than the transmission. I have checked the clutch fork and it is dry so my thinking is it is not the main seal however, since I did NOT renew the lower seals at the rear of the crankcase I think this might be the source? From memory, there is a 6mm adapter plate between the flywheel and engine so if it leaked it would probably avoid the flywheel and come out at the bottom of the bell housing and eventually onto the floor. If that's the case it can stay like that. It is just a nuisance and annoying that I went through the trouble of replacing the main seal and not the lower seal even though it never leaked prior to the clutch replacement. Never mind, such is life!
I was wondering if it might be due to high sump pressure from excessive engine wear or leaky valves?
Thanks for the help Alan. Cheers, Jake
Motang2
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn

Postby morgann1 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:29 pm

How did your oil leak repair go ?
morgann1
I'm only here for the information

City: Timaru
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu bighorn