• Advertisement

MU leaf springs - Tough Dog or Ironman

For all suspension modifications

MU leaf springs - Tough Dog or Ironman

Postby Justsomedude » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 am

Hi all, I'm a returning MU owner. Had one about 15 years ago and should never have let it go. Anyways, I'm back in the fold now and restoring/modding a '91 MU 2.8TD I've picked up.

To the point. The previous owner has managed to install what look like springs that are too long in the back, the rear wheels are significantly off centre in the arches. So thought I'd kill two birds and get the wheels back to centre and get a little lift at the same time.

I've trawled through all the posts I can and it looks like Jackaroo/Rodeo leaf springs are a direct fit ? Please correct me if I'm wrong, going to be painful to return them after I order them!

I can get either Tough Dog or Ironman for around the $500 here in Tasmania. Both are meant to be 0-300kg (their lightest ones) and both claim to be 45mm lift, so it'd come down to the brand I guess. My MU will be mostly empty or very occasional camping trips so don't want HD and may have to remove a leaf as it is to get a decent ride.

Any thoughts which way to go? Thanks
91 MU
Justsomedude
Isuzu Baby

City: Hobart, Tas
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu Mu

Re: MU leaf springs - Tough Dog or Ironman

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Mu springs seem to be a major drama. I would measure the front pivot to the top shakle pivot and see id they can verify that the springs are this length under no load. That would see the shakle pretty much vertical with no load and about a cm back loaded
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Justsomedude » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks and will do. The Ironman vendor assures me the springs he has are good for a MU - so that's a +1 for them, and they're in Hobart. The guy from Dobinsons gave me a figure of 553mm from front eye to center pin (ubolt). Wondering if I can reverse the current springs now, as the centre pin is off centre (currently towards the back). The front bush seems to be pressed in but might move with a sledge - worst case is I replace the springs either way.
91 MU
Justsomedude
Isuzu Baby

Postby Justsomedude » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm going to order the Ironman leaf springs today, mainly cause its from a local supplier. Might have to take a leaf or two out no matter what springs I buy from the sounds of things, they're all setup for more weight than an empty MU bum.

While I was taking my springs off today I thought my front spring mount (for rear spring) looked odd, is this normal or has someone 'modified' it for a bit of lift ? It's like it's got 2 sets of mounting holes in it, one set about an inch higher than other - or am I missing some part from there ?

front bracket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
91 MU
Justsomedude
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm

no room for the bushing on the hole closest to the chassis
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Justsomedude » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Thought I'd follow up. I went with the Ironman, mainly cause the vendor is just down the road and the price was pretty much the same as Tough Dog. Got new 50mm lift springs, poly bushes and u-bolts for about $500.
Fitted them today, right side went in pretty easy with a flex bar and couple of jacks to help straighten them to get the shackle to connect. Left side was a trial.... damned exhaust in the way made getting the shackle pins in very very challenging. Anyways, all done now. Just have to trim my u-bolts with a grinder tomorrow and torque them up (they're about 4 inches too long). It's possible I'll have to remove a leaf yet, will see how it rides but I'm thinking its gonna be pretty firm

Here's a pic of my old (flat) springs vs the new ones - so different !

springs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
91 MU
Justsomedude
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 am

Can we have a pic of them installed please. Im worried that the difference is more than the travel in the shackle
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Justsomedude » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 am

Hmm I can't think of any easy way of testing them under full load to see their fit then. My original spring (in photo) either wasn't from a MU or was seriously worn out so the photo may be a little deceptive. My rear wheels were off centre towards the back by about 60mm and they're pretty much spot on now.

Here's a few photos of the shackle and side view - the wheel is currently a 33 but will be going back to a 31 shortly. Gap above wheel seems huge right now, hoping it'll settle some.
IMG_20180202_093348.jpg

IMG_20180202_093333.jpg

IMG_20180202_093327.jpg
91 MU
Justsomedude
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

Looks good. A trick to tell you about now its done esspecially with poly bushes is to jack up both sides so the body and axle are parallel. Then you are not trying to twist an untwistable bushing
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm

They look abit short, shackle is over centre so the shackle looks like it will invert when the wheel goes up
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Suspension