• Advertisement

Coil conversion

For all suspension modifications

Coil conversion

Postby Coconutcream » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi i am new and would like to know if anyone knows much about changing to coils. I own a 1993 MU. Wondering if anyone could help me and let me know if its a project I can do on my own at home or if its a pretty big job? Any and all links to places to source parts and all I would potentially need will be much appreciated. Thanks heaps.
Coconutcream
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Mu 3.1L TD

Re: Coil conversion

Postby pig75 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:42 am

92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 am

Good question.
Is this to remain a road car? Certification will ad a lots of complication. ie ticketed welder, inspector involvement throughout the project etc
Have a look at the suspension on a Wizard. For the rear this is a good starting point as the diffs etc are the same size. A Wizard diff already has spring perches and control arms so simplifies this.
Doing just the rear would be 30% of the work and 80% of the gains. Were you considering the front as well?
For the front though what diff do you intend to use. Most solid axle swaps have used Hilux diffs and leaf springs which is simple and effective but coils are still better. The few Mus that have done coil swaps have used either 80 series cruiser or GQ Patrol diffs but all the control arm work would be customised to match the Mu chassis.
One other way Ive seen it done was getting a Patrol rolling chassis then moving the body and engine mounts to match the Mu engine and body.
Certainly not a job for the faint hearted but if you have good to excellent welding and engineering experience it can be done at home. My general way of answering a question like this is that if one has to ask if it is too hard it probably is.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:18 pm

if you want a coil rear end best way is to use a swb bighorn chassis and bolt the mu body to it and swap everything over that you want off your chassis
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:11 am

How close are the mounts?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension