• Advertisement

Suspension

For all suspension modifications

Suspension

Postby RigHorn » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:55 pm

Gday everyone, awesome forum page this is.

Got mysellf a '92 SWB Irmscher 3.2 Petrol, very tidy truck in my opinion.

Wanting to lift it, just 2inches, been told suspension is the way to go in NZ. Any tips and tricks, suggested brands etc?

This vehicle and the work I want to do with it is my introduction to the 4x4 world outside of tagging along with mates so I am pretty pumped.
RigHorn
I'm only here for the information

City: Other
Vehicle: 1993 Izuzu Bighorn Irmscher 3.2 Petrol

Re: Suspension

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:48 am

Cobra efs and ironman all make suitable springs Go for the best deal you can get. Unless you carry a lot of stuff avoid heavy duty if you can. Even the standard rate is 30% higher than your springs. For shocks you need to do a little research. My rear shocks are no longer available so no help with a number. You need to measure the compressed length of your current shock and then jack up both sides of the truck under the chassis so the springs are just held in place then measure the distance eye to eye to get the maximum extended length. Buy shocks with a compressed length as close to original as possible and extended length about 20mm less than the extended length you measured. Dont make the mistake I made by not allowing for initial settling. First wof fit shorter shocks.
For the front if you do not have a bullbar or winch all you have to do is wind up the torsion bars to match the rear. Shocks should be fine. You can restore travel with a ball joint flip but if your mechanic sees this you will be off to the certifiers. Only replace the torsion bars to compensate for the weight of a winch or bull bar
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby RigHorn » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:02 am

Cheers geeves, thats some good advice. Got a bull bar on it at the moment, wanting to keep it on, so I should be looking at replacing torsion bars. Or new front shocks and springs as well? I'm not sure.
RigHorn
I'm only here for the information

City: Other
Vehicle: 1993 Izuzu Bighorn Irmscher 3.2 Petrol

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm

As you lift it it will become less stable. If it starts diving under braking upgrade the torsion bars
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension