• Advertisement

6VD1 Auto to Manual Conversion started

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

6VD1 Auto to Manual Conversion started

Postby BroNZ » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Ran outta people space with my SWB Manual 6VD1 and picked up a LWB Auto 6VD1 bout a year ago knowing the auto was on its way out.
Well the Auto did and so cos its near $5k for a refurbished unit or mine gets repaired in Hamilton and, a 2nd unit from the wreckers is a lucky dip, I'm left with a conversion. From alot of research and advice the 4L30E is not suitable for towing and to have it behind a v6 on 4x4 you'd think a better tranny was chosen.
So I've started and the interior Shifters was a piece of piss and are interchangeable from SWB to LWB so no further space is needed to be cut out. All this rain has been holding me back with doing anything underneath. Next is the Clutch pedal and Master cylinder transfer.

Question: Is the rear driveshaft from a LWB 4cyl manual be the vehicle I'm looking for? as there's heaps of those around for parts but hardly any LWB 6VD1 manuals.
Sorry no parts for sale - the old man wants some stuff off the SWB too.
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 iSuZu SWB 6VD1 MtM 31x10.5x15s

Re: 6VD1 Auto to Manual Conversion started

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:37 pm

should be the same trans in diesel and petrol so driveshaft should be the same
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BroNZ » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 am

Cheers Geeves!
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Postby BroNZ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:03 pm

Bloody small space to get the Clutch pedal and master cylinder free, just need to drill a hole in the LWB firewall so the master cylinder and pedal can link. I found someone has boxed & mounted the ECU onto the studs for the pedal and master cylinder so will need to find an alternative for the ECU.

Next drop the cross members, transfer cases then the flywheel & clutch and gearbox and cables. After remove the tranny on the LWB and insert the manual. Intention is to replace the std old clutch with a HD one, don't need the extreme as I don't drive thru boggy swamps, river crossings etc but will have a heavy load and towing often. Spin and boltup the cross member, and suss out a mount for the gbox.

Driveshaft found from LWB Manual 4cyl. Changeout Monroes and suss the sunroof from SWB to LWB or just get the WOF and rego done first and then suss the monroes and sunroof after. Need the truck soon - Winter is coming...
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:52 am

One thing to watch out for. On paper a swap of gearbox does not need cert BUT the modification of the brake peddle does. If you can fit the clutch peddle without touching the brake your good to go but I suspect thats not possible.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby BroNZ » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:08 pm

Spot on with that Geeves
Clutch comes into contact with the friggin Brake Pedal

so im gonna replace the brake pedal from the SWB... haha thought you had me ... no modification ... just a replacement

Am I OK with leaving the AUTO ECU unplugged cos there aint any room under the dash?

Any other little surprises mate?
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:36 am

talk to a certifier about the brake pedal. As yours had the large pedal changing it to the small one is considered a mod. One little got ya is the inhibitor switch in the selector box. Need to short the terminals out or it wont start. Also the autos reverse light is switched in the selector so will need some rewireing.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby BroNZ » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:30 am

Fingas crossed with the pedal - my SWB had a aftermarket metal plate riveted to the brake pedal and no questions were asked when I take it in for a WOF - that I 'd consider as a mod from the rubber pad. So to avoid the thought I've gone out to get a stock pedal for the manual just as a precaution. Thanks for the wiring headsup these I'm well prepared for. Made a number of own goals... took the cross member off before undoing the driveshafts....and disconnecting the selector to move it in Neutral rather than Park so the driveshafts can be rotated to loosen up bolts. Nevamind have to wait n see after Gabriel and all those poor families with everything soaked in floodwater ...
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

Return to Special Mods