• Advertisement

roll bar

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

roll bar

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:41 pm

I am looking at building a roll bar for the back of the ute. I must admit that it is more for looks :lol: and some where solid to tie things down to although I would like a bit of protection if we ever go over :o . Most I have looked at bolt to the top of the wellside -are these any good and how thick does the tube need to be? i have plenty of 48mm (outer) galv pipe around Any thoughts?
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: roll bar

Postby Hermit » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Found this for a Jeep, but I think the company (that makes the cage itself) also fabricates for other vehicles.

It should be easy to find a welder/fitter to make you up something to your design. That would allow you to determine the tubing, either round, oval or square or even combining the various types together into a one of a kind cage would work as well.

Hermit
Hermit
Isuzu Baby

City: Los Angeles
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Trooper LS 3.2 auto

Postby geeves » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:15 pm

Do you have a tube bender that will bend that tube. Have a look at the bars on a few other utes to get ideas. If the pipe has 5mm thickness it will do the job Just weld it to a 200mm x 5mm plate with another plate under the floor. A cross brace or 2 wouldnt hurt.
This will do the job but probably wont pass scutineering for competition.
Also how much do you trust your welding. If you use the bar your betting your life on it.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Not for comp but for a road legal farm ute. Have access to a pipe bender or would use weld in wrought bends. As for trusting my life all that is there is a piece of panel steel folded into chanel 25mm wide and bent to follow the shape of the cab (part of the factory set up) that moves alot when you ve got the calf crate or atv on the back Image Also have some 4x2 5mm chanel for something different chances of tipping over are pretty minimal but its always in the bck of your mind when you drop in a hole in the dark
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Do you farm flat or hill country. If its fairly flat your unlikely to roll past your side but if its hills you could go 2 or 3 times to the bottom. What do you have on your quads and tractors?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 am

If we went over would end up on roof if unlucky. Both tractors are full cab and I would never never put a roll bar on a quad Especially if I was in hill country as it totally changes the centre of gravity and yes I have seen what this does. The only straight thing left was the roll bar and the rider said if it wasnt there he wouldnt have gone over. With a quad youve just got to bail when its gunna roll and hope it doesnt jump on you -yes have done that too
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby holden » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm

holden
Isuzu Junior

City: Whangarei
Vehicle: 91 Isuzu MU 2.8T D (4JB1T)

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Good spotting although those are more for show. They will still save your brains though. I would still bolt it through a 5mm plate sandwich.
50 plus freight sounds a lot better than the hassle of making one.
One question that pretty much negates the usefulness of a roll bar. Do you wear the seat belt on the farm????? I know getting in and out all the time makes it a pain but there isnt much difference between the roof coming down on your head and you smacking into the roof
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks Holden will keep an eye on it though freight could be a deal killer. It may surprise you geeves but I do in our rougher paddocks and the kids do regardless of where we are.
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Youll be the only farmer that does.
Its good to see.
You would be surprised at how many 4wd club members complain about having to wear them on 4wd trips. For me the habit of wearing one is so ingrained that I cant even drive across a supermarket carpark without putting it on
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:53 pm

You might want to also check with your insurance company about fitting a roll bar.
I think that they can get a bit cranky about them.
Don't give them any easy way of declining any future claim!
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:29 pm

In a ute they are a roof rack or tie down frame ie no issue. I dont think they are an issue in any 4wd if they are wof compliant. The only wof rules on roll bars are the interior and exterior impact rules that are very hard to apply to this type of bar in a ute.
If in doubt tho its always best to check
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Special Mods