• Advertisement

Turbo replacement for 97 Rodeo 2.8TD

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Turbo replacement for 97 Rodeo 2.8TD

Postby Luke777 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:29 pm

]Hullo all, I'm new. Thanks in advance for your help.
I live in Cairns Australia.
I've pulled the trigger on a 97 Rodeo 2.8TD. It aparrently blew a turbo seal a year or so ago. Has 220k on the clock.
I want to fix it up with my sons as a project for us and end up with a daily driver.
Not looking for huge power, just want some old-school simplicity and reliability.

285970678_1233737123829472_5053868882488895159_n.jpg

[attachment=1]285970678_1233737123829472_5053868882488895159_n.jpg[/attachment

My question to you all is: Should I only get the IHI turbo or are any of the Chinese ones good?
I don't thrash vehicles and I don't work them super hard. I will need to occasionally tow a big Zero turn mower on a trailer. That's about it.
Price for an IHI is $1300 locally and a CHinese snail is a lot less.
If the chinese ones are not decent I will get the IHI.

Also looking for tips on what I need to do to make sure the job goes as smoothly as possible. I really don't want to miss anything important as it's a big investment in time and cash.
I know that oil feed lines and return lines must be replaced with new ones..
What else?
Manifold will need to be cleaned I imagine? Tips on how to do this would be awesome.

Basically, your experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Luke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke777
I'm only here for the information

City: Cairns
Vehicle: 1997 Holden Rodeo

Re: Turbo replacement for 97 Rodeo 2.8TD

Postby magicdeo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:21 am

My advice would be to buy genuine mate. I have never had experience with a Chinese turbo but I have heard plenty of horror stories and I have seen enough Chinese rubbish over the years to stay away from it whenever possible. As the old saying goes, buy nice or buy twice. The IHI is more expensive but atleast you know it will be fine.
One tip I have is to follow any instructions that come with the turbo regarding lubricating. When I replaced mine, I personally disconnected the fuel cut solenoid and cranked the engine until the oil pressure light went out, then kept cranking for another 20 seconds or so before attempting to start the engine. This is because the turbo will spin extremely fast when the engine fires before the bearings have been lubricated and you will probably ruin the bearings instantly.

Cheers Mick
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

City: Newcastle

Re: Turbo replacement for 97 Rodeo 2.8TD

Postby Luke777 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:06 pm

magicdeo wrote:My advice would be to buy genuine mate. I have never had experience with a Chinese turbo but I have heard plenty of horror stories and I have seen enough Chinese rubbish over the years to stay away from it whenever possible. As the old saying goes, buy nice or buy twice. The IHI is more expensive but atleast you know it will be fine.
One tip I have is to follow any instructions that come with the turbo regarding lubricating. When I replaced mine, I personally disconnected the fuel cut solenoid and cranked the engine until the oil pressure light went out, then kept cranking for another 20 seconds or so before attempting to start the engine. This is because the turbo will spin extremely fast when the engine fires before the bearings have been lubricated and you will probably ruin the bearings instantly.

Cheers Mick

Excellent info Mick. I will do as you did with the solonoid. That makes sense to me.
Luke777
I'm only here for the information

City: Cairns

Return to Engine