• Advertisement

Recommended oils and fluids

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Recommended oils and fluids

Postby lukemclaughlin » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:50 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1996 Bighorn Lotus edition, 3.1DT with automatic transmission and 4L-4H-2H system (Not TOD). I’ve been looking through previous topics and manuals to see what oils and fluids I should use but keep finding conflicting information. Currently I think I should run 15w-40 diesel engine oil, ATF Dexron lll transmission fluid, 80w-90 gear oil suitable for limited slip and conventional differentials in both my front and rear differentials. However, I am more uncertain regarding the transfer case oil and power steering fluid. I’ve read posts that say 10w-30, 15w-40, 80w-90 gear oil and ATF Dexron lll should be used in the transfer case. Also, in the owners manual it states ATF Dexron lll should be used for power steering fluid but other posts say otherwise.

I am wondering what engine oil, transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluid, transfer case oil and power steering fluid you would recommend for my 3.1DT automatic with 4L-4H-2H system.

lukemclaughlin
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1DT Lotus

Re: Recommended oils and fluids

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:45 pm

Transfer case is a tricky one. My money is on the same oil as the trans. It isnt that critical
Power steer yes book says Dexron ATF111 but there are specialized power steer fluids that beter control leaks etc. Im using a Prestons product with good results.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lukemclaughlin » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:12 pm

I might try just the standard supercheapauto brand power steering fluid and see how that goes. I might do a bit more research or wait for some more input before I jump the gun on the transfer case oil. What do you run in your transfer case?
lukemclaughlin
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1DT Lotus

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:44 pm

Mine is a manual and runs the same gear oil as the gearbox.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Chchbiggie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:14 pm

i have ran both cheap 15w40 oil and also castrol vmx in transfer, only thing i know for sure is the 15w40 is cheaper than vmx. havent noticed any difference between running the 2. manual box i use cheap 15w40 and had no issues, power steer i just choose the cheapest its all a much of a muchness an diff oils i find penrite isnt to bad on the pocket. i did use a castrol oil in my rear lsd as it was on special. for me it all comes down to preference and price. usually they recommend using atf in both auto and transfer case, but you can run what ever you want.
Chchbiggie
Isuzu Baby

City: Chch
Vehicle: Gen 2 biggie

Return to Engine