• Advertisement

4JB1 stopping intermittently

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JB1 stopping intermittently

Postby magicdeo » Wed May 10, 2023 8:59 am

Hi, been chasing an intermittent issue with my 2.8 rodeo for some time now. It runs perfectly and without warning will lose all power and stall and cannot be restarted until the primer is operated. On a few occasions it has failed to start for the first start of the day until primed and sometimes will do a short drive perfectly to the shops, but when coming out of the shops it won’t start. I am almost certain the fuel filter and primer is not sucking air and I have had the front seal on the IP replaced (the diesel mechanic said the front seal was fine and the shaft was also in good condition). So I am now at a loss as to what it could be? The IP is only 180k old. The car was running fine this morning until I had to idle along in 1st gear for traffic and it stopped twice in 300m. Can the solenoids on the back of the pump cause an issue like this? Nothing about this issue is common, hot or cold, night or day, fuel tank full or empty, it can happen whenever.
Thanks for any help
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

City: Newcastle
Vehicle: 1997 Holden Rodeo

Re: 4JB1 stopping intermittently

Postby geeves » Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 am

Could be electrical solinoids but air in the fuel is still my first check because its easier. Replace the fuel line between the filter and pump with clear hose. Bubbles will become obvious
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby magicdeo » Wed May 10, 2023 12:19 pm

Clear hose shows no air bubbles in the fuel hose between the filter and pump but when the car stops, there is no fuel left between the filter and IP although the filter still appears to be full (I have a glass bowl filter)
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Wed May 10, 2023 3:36 pm

If there is no fuel in the pipe then there is air. Find out where it is coming from and you get your fix
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Check the joints on the fuel line all the way to the tank. If it splits it sometimes only leaks as it moves
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby magicdeo » Wed May 10, 2023 5:22 pm

Ok thanks geeves will look into it. Is there anyway the solenoids on the back of the pump can cause an issue like this?
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

Postby magicdeo » Wed May 10, 2023 8:03 pm

There is also some sort of solenoid on the engine side of the fuel pump, anyone know what this is for?
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

Postby Roadrunner » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 pm

magicdeo wrote:There is also some sort of solenoid on the engine side of the fuel pump, anyone know what this is for?

That is probably the sensor for the tacho. I would be checking the connector that goes to the on/off solenoid which is located below the boost compensator , the connector is only a couple of inches from the solenoid and could be dirty/corroded. As Geeves pointed out you are probably getting some air in the fuel, or it could be gas from the bacteria which reside in the whole fuel system. Some biocide should keep the bugs at bay for a while, but chances are that the vane pump is gummed up and not sucking up enough fuel from the tank. How old is your fuel filter? it might be clogged up.
Roadrunner
Isuzu Baby

City: Central Victoria
Vehicle: 92 jackaroo, 4jg2 , ported turbo, 5psi lift pump, 11 psi boost, 5 speed, 4.3 diff gears.

Return to Engine