• Advertisement

Quality rebuild kit.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Quality rebuild kit.

Postby Lagwagoning » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi,
I have one 4jb1-t engine that got dusted due to hole in air filter and another 4jb1-t engine approaching 400k that’s getting tired so I’ll be looking at stripping both down and seeing if at least one is worth rebuilding.
Can anyone recommend a good rebuild kit, preferably made in Japan?
A few years back a local mechanic that has rebuilt a couple of these said the only way to do it properly was to use oversized pistons and rings, he said rebuilding to stock won’t last. Can anyone validate this?

Here are three kits on eBay I found from Aus sellers.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26540187970 ... Sw44BYc3Au
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13157151124 ... Swu-hbTuI4
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/39354276710 ... SwGIRXZHyj

Cheers
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2001 2.8 Rodeo

Re: Quality rebuild kit.

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:52 am

not sure on the first kit as id doesnt seem to include liners. Other 2 should be ok though. A note on the last one is that it is for Rodeo engines to 97 only. I suspect this means gear driven instead of belt driven camshaft. Be careful on this. Your mechanic friend is correct for petrol engines but in these diesels you replace the liner so no need to go oversize
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Lagwagoning » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:09 pm

The rodeos 2.8 and the later 3l are all gear driven. It must be something else as I can recall there being a slight difference in kw’s from the 97’s onwards I’ll have to do some research. The 97-01 rodeos had the newer look with rounded guards. I’ve got both and the only visible difference I can see under the bonnet is the turbo size, manifold and air intake.
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

Postby Lagwagoning » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:47 pm

Ahh had a thought about this question today and I think I’ve got mixed up, I believe the advice I got was to machine the crank and get undersize bearings, anyone been down this path? Might be a good idea considering the engine will likely have 400k on it when I pull it out. I know I should strip it first and inspect the wear before purchasing a new kit but the vehicle is still getting used and I can’t afford to have it not running for for the time being and I want to get a kit while there is still some decent ones On the market. There will come a time when I’m sure there will be none left and a friend owns a wrecking yard and said he never gets the 4jb1’s in.

Cheers
Lagwagoning
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine