• Advertisement

4JB1T Harmonic Balancer Pulley

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JB1T Harmonic Balancer Pulley

Postby kg4pam » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:51 pm

Good day- I've noticed an issue with my engine that I hoped some of you good folks might be able to shed some light on. I am in the US, and have a 4JB1T in a Jeep CJ-7. I noticed a rattling sound coming from the front of the engine. Most of the issues stemmed from a bad bearing in the Chinese water pump I have on there. However, I also noticed that the v-belt accessory drive pulley appeared to be loose. I remove the 4 bolts and pulled the pulley off the crank. The center bolt on the crank appears to be tight, however the spacer behind it seems to be loose. (red arrow in image)

The 'toothed' timing belt pulley seems to be tight, but the spacer that the v-belt pulley bolts to has probably ~1-2mm of rotational play. Like a keyway or something is worn...

Question- What would cause this to loosen, and would there be any harm in removing the main bolt and putting a shim behind it to stop the pulley spacer from moving (yellow line in image)? I realize this would probably mean setting the timing, or at least putting the bolts in place to prevent timing from changing while i work on it.

I read some other posts alluding to a harmonic balancer 'slipping' causing the timing marks to be off, but I think what I have here is a separate issue.

Or should I just leave it be and not worry about it?

Thank you very much!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kg4pam
Isuzu Baby

City: East TN
Vehicle: 1981 Jeep CJ-7 with 4JB1-TC.

Re: 4JB1T Harmonic Balancer Pulley

Postby pig75 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:42 am

92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:51 pm

Yes there is a keyway in there. The big bolt should have 150 ft pound torque but if the keyway is damaged you may have a problem. The spacer can be purchased new but not cheap and dont know where in USA. however they sometimes cause wear in the crank which makes it a big job.
An engine machinist might be able to repair both but otherwise its a new crank ands spacer
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby kg4pam » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:13 pm

Thank you both for the info. So will there be any harm in pulling the center bolt to inspect the spacer/crank? I assume the timing belt pulley (sprocket rather) is also keyed on the crank?

Also- It won't let me see the photos that were attached. I assume this is due to my low post count. Is there any way around that?

Thanks!!!
kg4pam
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:11 pm

your photo is there so you should be able to see it. From memory the cambelt pulley is bolted to the spacer which has the keyway.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby kg4pam » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:55 am

Ok, I made a tool that bolts to the 4 smaller holts to hold the crank. I tried loosening the large middle bolt. It started moving a bit, but never got really easier like it was breaking loose. I was worried about stripping it or twisting it off, so I stopped. I then tried tightening back down. It tightened a bit, but the spacer is still loose. Question for you all- how likely am I to strip the bolt with a standard sized 1/2" ratchet (no cheater bars or anything like that)? Should I keep trying to loosen it? I don't want to wring it off and then have to drill out the bolt in the end of the crank... I actually lucked out and procured a spare engine last week (A very rare feat for this engine here in the States!). I may just drive the one with the loose pulley as-is while I overhaul and clean the 'new' engine, so long as I won't totally ruin it if I do.
kg4pam
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:02 am

If you loose the keyway the injector pump and valves will be out of line. Valve hitting piston will at best stop you suddenly. At worst new engine. If you snap the bolt its an engine out repair and if the crank has already worn it will be a new crank
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine