• Advertisement

1994 Elf Motorhome brake issues

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1994 Elf Motorhome brake issues

Postby drambuidhe » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:51 pm

Hi and hello from a newbie here ;)
I have recently bought this motor home which is 28yrs old but only showing 78,000kms on the clock.
I did the online record searches and the mileage is accurate FROM the date of import from Japan, where it may have been clocked??
In a previous life -some years ago- i was a VW mechanic so do have some experience with these things, so tend to take the mileage with a pinch of salt.
BUT- underneath it does look pretty new , with the original shiny black paint on the chassis , diff, leaf springs ,prop etc, so you never know??
SO-- my issue- I bought it two weeks ago, drove it 30kms home then there it's sat ever since while I played about improving bits and pieces and generally tidying it up bodily.
Two days ago I fitted a set of LED rear light assembleys to replace the old faded set. All was good , I cut the multiplug off the old light clusters and soldered on the wires from the new lamps . Everything worked fine until yesterday when I actually started it up.
The indicators then flashed rapidly accompanied by a ear splitting buzzer going off!
I could get why the indicators were flashing too fast because I'd half expected to need to add some resistors , but why the loud buzzer??
I grabbed a couple of resistors and added them into the flasher circuit which has corrected their speed but not this damn loud noise??
Anyway , I decided to bung on some ear defenders and try it out to see what may happen.
So I got about half a km down the road when the buzzing stopped! :o
I decided to carry on and give it a short 15min run which went perfect.
However I noticed when I had to brake fairly hard to make a turn , that the brake pedal needed far more effort than I remembered to slow it, followed by the bloody buzzer coming on again for a short while. From then on I bashed the brakes a bit and each hard brake results in the buzzer coming on for around 10secs.
So I'm assumimg theirs a vacuum issue somewhere but have no info on the system and find it a big coincidence that this came on right after fitting the new rear light clusters.
I'm wondering if there's a link somewhere between the lighting circuit and the various vacuum operated equipment ??
Hopefully there's manuals available somewhere with current flow and vacuum diagrams??
Any ideas guy's??
drambuidhe
I'm only here for the information

City: Waipawa
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu Elf motor home

Re: 1994 Elf Motorhome brake issues

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:36 pm

first what motor? Second vacuum hoses do split at the ends so a good look should find the issue. The vacuum plumbing is quite simple. Its a 94 so I doubt there are sensors on the lights
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 1994 Elf Motorhome brake issues

Postby andy120 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:42 am

Maybe there's a buzzer in the vacuum system to warn you of soft brakes. An electronic indicator unit will fix the indicators without the resistor.
andy120
Isuzu Junior

City: Gore
Vehicle: 2 manual Wizards + 1 auto

Return to Engine