• Advertisement

Heater/blower not working

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Heater/blower not working

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Hey guys n gals...I have a 96 UCS69 4JG2 Auto.

A weird thing keeps happening in that the blower/heater will not be working when I get in the vehicle from time to time. It never actually turns off - it is either working when I get in the vehicle or it is not, then the next day or 2 it will spring back into life when I get in it. Over the past couple of months it has happened about once a week, but now is occurring more frequently. Reading around a bit I see there is a resistor in there somewhere which ppl say could be the issue. Anyone know where this is located? Note this is just the blower/heater - not the AC which is no longer fitted. The lights on the dials/buttons will illuminate and I can hear the motors for the different modes working as normal (ie changing from 'window defrost' then changing it to say "Legs")...but it just won't blow anything!

Wouldn't normally bother me but it is getting fresh down here in christchurch.

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing and perhaps found the problem? I know its a kind of 'how longs a piece of string' question but thought I would start here before ripping the dash to bits/going to a auto sparky.

Thanks in advance, appreciate it!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: Heater/blower not working

Postby stardog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 pm

The resistor is behind the glove box in the 96 wizard they are different to the MU ones.
If I remember right you undo the screws on the glove box hinges and the glove box should lift out.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Cheers stardog - Im still not sure if this is the problem as the dial stays true to where you set it (when it does function) but will have a tinkle with what you have described
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby DonaldNZ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Also In chch. Mine is a 97 ucs69 wizard.

My cabin climate control and heater fan will only light up and work if the key on & engine running.

if your heater fan is running, key off, without the dials lit up.

I'd first be checking at the speed controller.
in olden days it was a fan speed resistor stack located in the airflow so its cooled as its very very inefficient and as a result gives off a lot of heat. Each additional resistor added to the stack added by the heater fan 3 or 4 speed switch to make it go slower. Fast was no resistor. Usually has 3-4 wires of similar thickness and a ceramic blob or nichrome wire same stuff as toaster and cig lighter. Usually located in the heater box handy to the fan motor as stardog said behind the glove box usually held in with two phillips screws. If you touch it when removed & select low or med speed it burns your fingers.

Resistor failure usually due to trash in the fan restricting its rotation increasing current consumption and not blowing the larger than specified heater fan fuse po [previous owner] fitted. Pens, broken glass from broken windscreen, spare parts, coins, leaves.
Blockages in the airflow downstream actually reduce the power consumed. {try it with you centrifugal bilge pump] Never failure to always on caused by this older resistor stack.

My 97 has Off / Auto / Lo to Hi heater fan knob with 11 speed selections.
If yours is like this then most likely an electronic version of the above resistor but alas a heater computer is involved to control the heater auto functions and tell the speed controller how much to turn on.
Located in the same place as the speed resistor because they are inefficient [=cheaper to make] The electronic version [of the above resistor] still controls the fan speed but usually by controlling duty cycle or portion of on to off time say 5000 times a second.
Difficult to test without an oscilloscope or voltmeter and factory service manual specification. We can guess though. If yours is the electronic version with the auto position on the fan speed knob,
I've replaced only two of these electronic speed controllers in 30 years, one in a Citroen and other a Nissan.
I'd start with looking at for thermal damage at the plug [causing the intermittent no go] this thermal overheat can cause a short circuit in the internal transistor latching the heater on.
Then pull the plug out of the speed controller behind the glove box and join the two thicker wires together {a split pin will do but a copper wire wont get as hot and melt the terminals], should make the heater fan come on fastest. Drive it like that for 3 or 4 different driving days in a row and see if it turns off while driving then report back.

This as you may have two different symptoms, staying on and not going.
So joining wires together is testing the power circuit and the heater fan motor. you may have to disconnect it each time you get in and out.

Do you have access to a dc volt meter [any cheap $20 digital multi meter will do it] ?
Do you have a 12v test light ? [12v 5w bulb with a wire attached ?
Last edited by DonaldNZ on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby turnturn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 pm

turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 am

Cheers for info Don.

Ill have a look at that resistor you speak of...and yes I do have a wee cheap multimeter
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby DonaldNZ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:25 am

We have yet to establish if the speed controller or the heater computer is at fault telling speed controller bad info, fortunately I can measure mine to compare.

Check if you have a off / auto / 11 speed positions first
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:49 am

Yes it is the one you describe with off / auto / 11 speed positions
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby DonaldNZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 pm

ok,
Unfortunately after looking at Isuzu fsm [factory service manual] for 96 to 02 last night, they all talk about resistors with a 4 speed switch so quite useless.

And for interest, the ceramic heater is quite different mode wise, mine comes on with fan at any speed and heater set temperature at anything [although I havnt tried it below 20 degrees C] Therefor I do suggest you charge your battery overnight with a quality charger once a month especially in winter unless you are driving to Dunedin or similar once a fortnight.
A fully charged battery has a lower freezing temperature and will last significantly longer as Flooded Lead Acid [FLA] batteries like to be at 100% state of charge.

I think the ucs69 heater is the best heater Ive ever owned. I do like the ceramic, it is better than noticeable, I use it on low fan speed. a seat warmer would be nice too.

meanwhile back to the heater fan
find speed controller in blower box same as resistor position as per above info.
check wires , probably two thick & two thin

Let me know colours and join two thick wires together and report

test it like this for several days driving to confirm a good fan run on high without hesitation.

An easier way might be wiring a cheap toggle on/off switch between the two thick wires to avoid shoving a wire in and out each drive cycle to avoid spreading the terminals and loosing terminal tension.

take multi meter and select DC volts 20 v setting or similar.test it by putting across battery terminals and it should read around 12-13v. test it half a doz times on battery and observe same result repeated.

With speed controller plug removed from speed controller I'd back {to avoid spreading terminals] probe the two thinner wires and observe voltage while key on engine idling select low through to high stopping at each spot for say 10 seconds and note voltage and report. you might see a gradual shift in voltage from low to high speed. dont bother with the auto position.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks Donald - will perform what you have described at report back - it mite be a couple of days - need to replace a hot water cylinder which has started leaking dammit!!

Cheers for the help
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby DonaldNZ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:49 pm

OK,
I have a element socket if required
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:28 pm

speed controller [replaces older fan speed resistor] for ~12 speed heater fan controller

I may be able to get a new one locally [christchurch] if required.
3 terminal device
guess 1 terminals
one terminal going from low [0v] to hi [~5 ~12v] pulled high via speed control brain
one terminal ground
one terminal to heater fan

heater fan
one terminal to speed controller
other terminal to batt +

guess 2
one term going from hi to lo [12v to 0v] pilled low via speed control brain [heater control]
one terminal to batt+
one terminal to heater fan

heater fan
one terminal to speed controller
one terminal to ground

wizard speed controller .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby stardog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 am

I just used 1 out of Holden Frontera 3 pin works fine cost 25 bucks that was a couple of years ago.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby DonaldNZ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:32 pm

sweet
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks for the help chaps. I got into the blower motor and cleaned some terminals and it did remedy the problem. The problem was intermittent so hopefully the issue won't be back but cheers nontheless
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:48 pm

Hello again,

Damn problem which has been intermittent up until now has resurfaced. The heater blower motor won't function in any setting mode at all (there are 11 stops on the dial) which is not ideal going into the colder seasons.
What I have done so far...
- Checked 20a fuse under bonnet - all good (it actually had a 10a but was still intact).
- Pulled the blower motor and put 12v down it - all good functions smoothly.
- Pulled the relay (under the dash by the motor) - tested and all good.
- I pulled the resistor (going into air box) but not quite sure how to test this. It is a 3 pin and all the videos I see testing these are 4 and the people testing these have the spec values (ohms resistance) for their vehicle, which I don't have. As far as I understand (thanks to DonaldNZ) I can take this out of the loop by pulling the 3 wires going to the resistor and joining the 2 larger wires together? Does that sound correct or am I confusing this with taking the relay out of the loop?

If someone may be able to clarify another thing. Where that 20a fuse is under the bonnet there seems to be another relay which is labelled 'Heater' (not A/C compressor) which I haven't even looked at as I am not sure what it is? My understanding is the relay for this is under the dash by the motor. Is the under bonnet one for the whole cluster of switches relating to heater function perhaps? Fyi power is getting to the heater cluster as the lights illuminate, I can only assume all is working well there. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks again chaps!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:01 pm

Hi Timbo there are 3 relays under the bonnet for the heater plus 1 fuse for the blower and 1 more fuse in the cab for the heater.
Here is the diagrams i have for them hope it helps you out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Oh geeze that sounds like a few things to check...thanks Stardog - bloody legend!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:16 pm

Soo got a little tied up remedying a alternator issue which turned into a complete rebuild of the thing...how annoying are alternators to get all back together lol.

Now back to my original issue - good fun these older trucks huh! I tried all the fuses and relays as stardog recommended but they all tested fine. Lets say I want to take the fan resistor out of the equation and have only the 'high' setting operational - question being would you cut the 2 large wires going into the resistor (leaving the other smaller wires intact and in place in the resistor) and join them together? Or have I got that wrong...

Thanks in advance!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi Timbo
I would also check the wires to the sensors switches on the thermostat housing i had a wire come off a sensor and had nothing on the climate control worked no fans or lights zippo.
I also found a broken wire on my pressure switch for the air con radiator and that caused problems as well .
It doesn't take much to do your head in on this heater and air con set up in the wizards the closest i found to the wiring for the heating and air con control is in a Holden Frontera manuals.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Next

Return to Electrical