• Advertisement

1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD Auto "Check Trans" flashing

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD Auto "Check Trans" flashing

Postby mr57757 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:15 pm

Greetings people,

Recently had this issue weeks ago. It stops flashing when throttle is slightly applied. At idle, it flashes back. Now it seems to be slightly worse which I had to rev higher and it'll stop blinking or sometimes, it just doesn't stop. The trans won't shift into overdrive either. Years ago, my dad used to daily it and encountered the same exact issue. His solution was to have the TPS replaced and it costs a fortune! :shock:

I've researched through the net and so far I've seen people talking about adjusting the TPS on the fuel pump. The thing is, mines located on the pedal and not on the fuel pump... On top of the fuel pump it has only black box cover shaped. Some more info, if I pressed the throttle all the way down during ignition, the light will immediately stop flashing and comes back again compared to when the engine is running (see video).

Next thing I did was to try and readjust the TPS on the pedal (I don't know the exact voltage but I just followed the 0.3v - 0.5v range somewhere I found in the forum). Lower than 0.3v and I'll have a check engine light with no throttle response. Higher than 0.3v and I'll have a higher idle. Both adjustment made no difference to the check trans light flashing. Checked the trans fluid, looks good too.

If anyone has any solution please do share before I set off to source another TPS :|

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJpVWOk71bM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr57757
Isuzu Baby

City: Kota Kinabalu
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD

Re: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD Auto "Check Trans" flashing

Postby mr57757 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 am

Since no one has any solutions yet, I'll just share my updates hopefully will be helpful to others.

After couple of shops and price hunting, I finally managed to sourced a used throttle pedal with sensor with a reasonable price. After replacement, the check trans light has gone for now... who knows it might be back in couple of years? :lol:

Throttle response is way better. Previous TPS felt so delayed and lack of power. Even had black smoke at full throttle while overtaking at an incline with a painfully slow acceleration.

A russian youtuber has also shared on how to check error codes for these transmission. This can be done by bridging the 4 and 11 pins of the diagnostic and counting the number flashes. Mine was code 21 (Flashes two times, pause, flash once). Seems like a bad TPS as google says...

video after TPS replaced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft7-OsllP4U
mr57757
Isuzu Baby

City: Kota Kinabalu
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD

Return to Electrical