• Advertisement

1995 Bighorn Auto 3.1TD 4JG2 4WD Starting issues

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1995 Bighorn Auto 3.1TD 4JG2 4WD Starting issues

Postby johneeeblaze » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:45 pm

So here's my problem. My 1995 Bighorn Auto 3.1TD 4JG2 4WD will crank but not start. When I turn the key there is a clicking noise coming from both the injection pump, (I have the electronic pump) and the glow plug relay. Checked for fuel at the pump, there is. Checked for fuel at injectors, nothing. So fuel is getting to the pump but not coming out of it. Paid a lot of money to a shop who said the pump needed to be rebuilt. So they rebuilt it, installed it, reset timing and everything was fine for about a week. Went out one morning and the clicking noise was back in the pump. Wouldnt start. No fuel at injectors. Towed it back to the shop that rebuilt the pump. For whatever reason when they tried to start it, it turned over right away, no clicking. They kept for a couple of days looking over the wiring and said they found some loose connections which they sured up. Each day they would start it and let it run for a couple hours, and had no starting issues. I went and picked it up and it started fine. All was good for two days. Tried to start this morning and the clicking was back in the pump. Won't start again. I've now paid to rebuild a pump that might not have needed to be rebuilt in the first place as the original clicking issue comes and goes, not to mention having to pay to have it towed twice. I'm assuming it's an electrical issue somewhere but nobody seems to be able to figure it out. Can anyone help?

Just for reference, new glow plugs were also installed at time of injection pump rebuild
johneeeblaze
Isuzu Baby

City: Quezon City
Vehicle: 1995 Bighorn Auto 4JG2 4WD

Re: 1995 Bighorn Auto 3.1TD 4JG2 4WD Starting issues

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:46 pm

Low battery? When its failing watch the voltage at the battery while cranking. If it drops below 8 the fuel solenoid cuts out. Fuel cutoff solenoid might be dodgy. Thats the 2 cheap options. Next would be the ecu
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby johneeeblaze » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:07 am

Thanks @geeves. The cut off solenoid was replaced when the pump was rebuilt. As for battery, not the culprit. I got 14.2V resting, 13.5 while cranking. Battery only about three months old. The clicking noise is a repetitive(click, click, click, click, click, etc.) and is coming from inside the top silver rectangular cover on the injection pump. There is also repetitive clicking coming from glow plug relay but I was told that has no bearing and should still start as Im located in warm climate. When cranking there is diesel going to pump but not coming out of pump. It seems like the pump starts to work but with every click you hear its going on and off. If I manually prime the fuel it will start but does an up-down, up-down, up-down idle and then starves out of fuel. The up-down idling coincides with the clicking. For instance, every time it clicks idle drops. I was told on another forum that since the governor is clicking in the pump that the ecu should be fine since its obviously sending signal to pump. Would you agree with that? Also, seems to happen after a hard rain. Someone had mentioned to me that there's an immobilizer ecu behind the kickpanel and that the wiring harness sits just behind the fender and can get wet in heavy rains or floods. Here in the Philippines, we've literally been getting hit by the same typhoon for the past 5 days. Earlier today, I pulled the kick panel and sure enough found a white 14-pin socket and it was definitely wet. I'm not sure if it's the culprit as it starting raining again and had to close it up. .
johneeeblaze
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:28 am

The up down and clicking sounds like the govenor but that should of been part of the pump build. Starting after priming sounds like an air leak. Put a clear bit of tube between the filter and pump and watch for bubbles while its running
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby johneeeblaze » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 pm

@geeves Thanks for the advice, will try that. BTW, are you aware of the immobilizer located in the kick panel? Could moisture in that socket cause issues similar to what I've described?
johneeeblaze
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:00 am

Wasnt aware of the immobilizer and its not in any of my books. It might be a local option only or after market. Certainly water and electronics should never mix
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby johneeeblaze » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:46 am

Theres a whole section on the ICU(immobilizer control unit) in the almost 12,000 page manual. I was trying to insert picture but no go. Do you have an email addy that I can send it to?
johneeeblaze
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 pm

theft5.jpg
theft4.jpg
theft1.jpg
theft2.jpg
theft1.jpg
Is this it? Never found that before
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby johneeeblaze » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:11 am

@geeves I'm not sure. It says that I don't have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post
johneeeblaze
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 pm

Not sure Why you cant view this. Pages 8h19 in your manual
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Electrical