• Advertisement

Fried Blower Motor

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Fried Blower Motor

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:00 pm

This is for an Isuzu Wizard UCS69. Trying to fix a an inoperative blower fan. Over the weekend I put a multimeter on the hot side of the fan plug and it was reading about 9.5v...I then connected up a ground directly to the other pin (bypassing relay/resistor/switch) thinking I would have at least some power going to the blower for it to run but it didn't. I tested the fan operation directly to a 12v battery and it burst into life, so assumed the fan was good.

I then connected up a 8gauge wire with a 15a fuse direct to the battery and the earth running to a switch then grounded. This worked well for a while but after about 20 minutes, the fan started making a weird noise, followed by a burning smell, followed by it stopping completely and fried!

I know this isn't the most ideal way of doing things, but I would have assumed it could handle 12v (and up to 15v I guess). Am I to believe I have given the blower too much juice and it has crisped that way or a big maybe that the fan was on it's way out - any theories?

Should a blower fan connected directly to 12-15v battery still be able to run normally? This is what I thought the 'max' setting on the console would effectively be doing by bypassing the resistor.
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: Fried Blower Motor

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Update:

So I removed the fried blower motor and some drips of water came along for the ride. It turns out there is a plastic clip the goes in directly above the blower motor housing which a screw then goes into, to hold down the metal cover/tray which sits below the window wipers (this was evident by the small amount of daylight I could see by looking straight up from where the blower motor was removed). So long story short, heavy rain has gotten its way past that clip, dripped down into the motor and then I think you all know what happened next. I popped the wipers off, removed the screws which fasten it down (5 I think) and then put a healthy amount of RTV around the clip/screw hole area. I also put RTV around the lip of where the 2 metal joints intersect (just in case it was coming through there). By design, the clip/screw is in a area which sits higher and out of the way of any water flow, but still will work it's way in surprisingly.
I got a new blower from the wreckers and it runs well. It is suppose to rain a lot this week, so I will let you know if my repair has worked and it has survived. Happy to have some heat back as it has been in the negatives lately.

If anyone else wants there blower motors to last and lives in a place where heavy rain could fall (I don't think a light amount of rain would get into the small gaps, but it could) then I would highly recommend to do the same as a preventative measure.
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Return to Electrical