• Advertisement

1993 bighorn 4jg2 aw 30-40le no 3ed gear, speedo acting up

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1993 bighorn 4jg2 aw 30-40le no 3ed gear, speedo acting up

Postby bigbighornnz » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:42 pm

Kia ora everyone, I have a few issues with the 1993 bighorn 3.1 I just bought and was hoping that you fine people might be able to point me in the right direction

issue 1) the truck does not like third gear. it has an aw30-40le. It switches from 2ed into third then quickly shifts to forth. When going uphill, it drops from 4th to 2ed, then up to third and quickly shifts to forth, then drops back to 2ed. the continually goes 4,2,3,4,2,3,4 until you slow down to a speed that can comfortably sit in second gear. it will only hold 3ed for a second or 2. When you take off overdrive, it sits in second. Would it be a bad shift solenoid?

issue 2) The speedo and tachometer go in and out of working until the car warms up, then they generally work fine. if you hit the dash, you can sometimes get the tachometer to start working before operating temp is reached, but the speed always doesn't work until operating temp is achieved. The odometer works fine the entire time and has no issues. I took the speedo out of the dash but there were no obvious signs of corrosion or loose wires. Would it be a speed sensor on the tranny?

issue 3) Back up lights do not work until operating temp is achieved. would this be a bad reverse light switch issue?

cheers everyone
Andrew
bigbighornnz
I'm only here for the information

City: franz
Vehicle: 1993 bighorn 4jg2

Re: 1993 bighorn 4jg2 aw 30-40le no 3ed gear, speedo acting

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:07 pm

issue 1 tps speed sensor solinoid in order of easyness to fix
2 tacho did this in my old bighorn but I never got round to fixing. It might be the tacho but check the wiring ariound the pump. If its had a diesel leak it may have chaffed insulation. Speedo speed sensor
3 inhibitor switch in the selector box
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension