• Advertisement

1994? Irmscher Bighorn UBS69GW workshop manual

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

1994? Irmscher Bighorn UBS69GW workshop manual

Postby cooperd » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:37 am

Hi All,
My first post. I've adopted my wife's Japanese import Bighorn and am trying to fix a number of faults. The most important being intermittent 'no top gear' and intermittent 'Check Trans' flash. I've done a bit of research and found the manuals that 'geeves' here has very kindly made available so thanks for that. However I cant find the manual for my vehicle. I've seen the one listed for the 1992 onwards bighorn but when I open it I cant find anything with my instrument layout. For example my check trans light is not built into the rev counter but to the right of the steering wheel instead. Also my auto shift lever options are not P,R,N,3,2,L they are instead. P,R,N,D,2,L. No 3 option!!! I'm wondering if the car is not actually a 1994 model as it is a Japanese import and things may have become confused when it was imported to the UK. Or is there a different manual for the Irmscher Bighorn? Please can anyone help me understand? I'm becoming quite fond of this truck with its heated seats :) and need the technical info before I can start fixing it properly. Thanks
cooperd
Isuzu Baby

City: stockport
Vehicle: Isuzu Irmscher Bighorn 1994 USB69GW

Re: 1994? Irmscher Bighorn UBS69GW workshop manual

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:09 pm

Thats the best manual I have. It is supposed to only cover the later models but really the differences are mostly cosmetic. In a 94 you will have the square dash and less electronics. Your check trans light works the same and the 2 main causes of no shift into overdrive are the tps and the speed sensor. If this was failing it would be obvious on the speedo. If the tps is failing you get check trans and change problems. Its on top of the injector pump and the tiniest rotation anticlockwise has a good chance of fixing. If you look at your gear display you will have the non electronic trans and as long as it matches the shifter it will be correct. They are still a 3 speed plus overdrive box
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby cooperd » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:00 pm

Thanks geeves, very much Indeed, Just a few words has made everything clear. I replaced the speed sensor already a month ago. The speedo did not work. That fixed the speedo (speedo is jerky but works) and the problem with the shift, the check trans light still flashed but the gears worked. I had the thermostat replaced on Friday and the heater works now, thank god its cold here, but the overdrive stopped engaging. I guess its TPS next. If I press the accelerator the check trans light goes out so its not completely dead. Thanks again for the help and I'll post the final solution when i find it. Cheers

Update - I've just taken the connection off the temperature sensor on the lower part of the thermostat housing, towards middle of engine, next to the two belts and I now have top gear back. I think all it does is stop overdrive engaging if its too cold, I'll try and find a new sensor but the main priority is to have a go at rotating that TPS on the injection pump :)
cooperd
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:33 am

When you mentioned thermostat that suggestion about the why came to mind. Overdrive and torque converter lockup only happen once warm and that is the sensor for it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby cooperd » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:17 am

Hi again geeves you ere right about the TPS, rotated it slightly and Check Trans no longer flashes. I had to rotate it clockwise though not anticlockwise, maybe because I'm in the northern hemisphere :lol: Thanks again
cooperd
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:24 am

It has to be in the right spot to work
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension