• Advertisement

96 Mu - Inner CV Boot

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

96 Mu - Inner CV Boot

Postby turnturn » Sun May 19, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm about to replace my inner CV boots (and outer's because I'm in there already) but I can't remember if I can get the half shafts out just by breaking/disconnecting one ball joint.

The last time I did this I was committed to taking the whole stub axle off so it wasn't an issue but this time I only really want to do the CV boots.

So my question is can I get the half shafts out by breaking only the taper on the upper ball joint or unbolting the lower ball joint (and maybe a tie rod)? If so, which one?

I'm pretty sure that I did it one of these ways years ago but have forgotten exactly how (not getting any younger....).
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Re: 96 Mu - Inner CV Boot

Postby geeves » Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 am

For the boots you have to take the circlip off the inner end of the shaft so the whole axle does have to come out. Remember the spring insise the inner cv to split that joint so no need to drop the diff. My 96 Wizard I could do this by just cracking the top joint and tie rod but the 94 bighorn I have to crack all 3 joints. Bottom joint can be a little stubborn
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lukemclaughlin » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:37 am

I’m currently replacing my outer cv joint on my 96 bighorn with one from Butler Auto Mart. Got it for $99. While I’m there I’m going to replace the inner cv boot as it looks quite dry rotted. Does anyone know what part number the inner cv boot is at butler auto mart? There’s CVB314 23x82x116 and CVB432 25x84x86. If neither of these would fit my inner cv joint where can I get a boot from?

The knuckle seal, needle bearing and washer all look good and the bearing spins freely. However the hubs outer bearing race was spinning freely in the hub so I will be replacing all bearings, races and the seal for both front hubs. Got all this for both front wheels from Allied Auto Online for $100 total NZD including shipping.
lukemclaughlin
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1DT Lotus

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:38 am

there could be 2 options. If your inner and outer joints look the same size its the larger option. If the inner is obviously smaller then its the small option. My money is on them being the same size but it could be either
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension