• Advertisement

Hand brake no go ,88 big horn rear disk

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Hand brake no go ,88 big horn rear disk

Postby growler » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:12 am

I have a ,88 bighorn SWB , drivers side hand brake lever that operates caliper piston at the rear of disk just moves up and down the full travel with out operating brake [piston].
I havent pulled apart yet, any advise as to how to do job and will i need any replacement parts?
the left side is is actuating the piston with minimum travel and seems to work fine.
i am in Bay of Islands NZ, I have read previous comments re adjustments of hand brake cables and rubber grease to keep all moving freely.
Thanks
bob
growler
I'm only here for the information

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: ,89 UBS55 Big horn

Re: Hand brake no go ,88 big horn rear disk

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:34 pm

Have you ever tryed pushing the pads back? If you have its broken but still worth trying this. What are your foot brakes like? They should be rubbish as well if its the usual problem. Remove the brass bung on the side of the calliper and adjust till piston till the brakes just rub, Adjust the hand brake cable so it is holding the lever 1mm clear of the end stop. If this doesnt fix things you are probably up for a replacement calliper
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Hand brake no go ,88 big horn rear disk

Postby growler » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks and will give it ago.
growler
I'm only here for the information

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: ,89 UBS55 Big horn