• Advertisement

Steering column boot replacement / Bighorn 96 4JG2

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Steering column boot replacement / Bighorn 96 4JG2

Postby vaca91 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:29 pm

Hi folks,

I noticed an oily patch on my driveway today and checked where the leak comes from. I suppose it is power steering box which is covered by dirt and the whole bolt under the PS box is also dirty and oily (as pictured - I do not know how is this part called as I am not a native eng speaker - anyway the same bolt at the other side/wheel is just sound and clean).

Otherwise driving and steering is good, no strange sounds, no vibrations, nothing. There is another thing and that is damaged rubber boot on the steering column (that one closer to the steering wheel) - the second picture. I have to definitely replace it but my question is how difficult this job is - I guess I need to disassemble whole steering column right? If you have any suggestions please hit me up. I have tried to google it but I did not even find appropriate parts.

I was also informed about Haynes manuals but it seems there is none for Isuzu Bighorn/Trooper 96. If there are any manuals for beginners I would appreciate it.

Thank you for any tips. Sorry about my english there might be some thing those do not make sense :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vaca91
I'm only here for the information

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Bighorn 3.1 4JG2

Re: Steering column boot replacement / Bighorn 96 4JG2

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:50 pm

input seal in the power steering box needs replacement. Its a fiddly job if you are not mechanically inclined. Never seen that boot fail before
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Steering column boot replacement / Bighorn 96 4JG2

Postby JuneAmara » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:43 am

Mine had failed too. Mechanic was surprised too
JuneAmara
I'm only here for the information

City: Rio
Vehicle: Ford Ranger