• Advertisement

dales isuzu mute 91

Show us your Rig!

Re: dales isuzu mute 91

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 pm

very true i dont like giving false info, i have had lots in the past and has cost me lots more in the end, if you want to know something just ask away, having a few issues at the moment with the coil setup
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby dalebroughton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 am

yea just to do with the crossmember just your opinion do you think you need to modify it to get that spring clearance when at full travel i wouldnt have seen it as necasary?
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

City: whangarei
Vehicle: isuzu mu ute 2.8 turbo deisel 91

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Yea depends how you hang the springs you can pivot them at the back and put the shackles at the front but that is the horrible way of doing it, to get the diff sitting almost where the ifs is when the wheel is under full compression the shackle goes right back and hits the cross member, no biggy but dont think you would get a cert like this, only other way is to extend the chassis abit and move the front diff forward more, this also helps with firewall clearance for 35 simex and the driveshaft angle is less as the distance is greater, just go coil way less work and way more flex and better ride depending on your budget
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby dalebroughton » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:34 pm

yea hmmm food for thought thanks and yea my budget for the truck has never been verry high unfortunatly ive done all i have with minimal coin not by choice
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby dalebroughton » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:43 pm

IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG
updated photos of new tray now it fits still a long way to go though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby dalebroughton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 am

hey isuzu rob how are you mounting the rear of your leaf springs /shackels to the chassis are you making custom shackels and bolting them through a bush in the chassis im thinking of doing as the toyota hilux has and bolting the genuine bracket to the bottom of the chassis rail gor the shackel to bolt through give me your thoughts on this idea cheers :?:
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Im running coil front end with radius rods, dont quite understand what you want to do, you can use the genuine toyota shackles and weld steel tube to bottom of chassis so that the shackles bushes fit inside the tube and guset the tube front and back, im not using leaves as im using mine as a daily driver and want comform and handling, make sure you talk to cert guys as im running into lots of issues
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby dalebroughton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 am

isuzurob wrote:Im running coil front end with radius rods, dont quite understand what you want to do, you can use the genuine toyota shackles and weld steel tube to bottom of chassis so that the shackles bushes fit inside the tube and guset the tube front and back, im not using leaves as im using mine as a daily driver and want comform and handling, make sure you talk to cert guys as im running into lots of issues
yea sorry i forgot that sorry and yea effectivly thats what im going to do but i have to talk to a certifier that isint in my town because the 1 we have is a guy that dosent think 4x4s should get certs
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

Ok then sounds like you have a good idea then, yea i have to take mine to hamilton to get cert as he is the closest with quailifacations high enough to cert it, i can see why people dont bother with certs
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Hey dale how do you get on with wof for the rodeo cab swap, as i spent 2hrs on the phone today and it cant be certed for the cab swap as the cab tags dont match the mu chassis number
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby daisy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm

isuzurob wrote:Hey dale how do you get on with wof for the rodeo cab swap, as i spent 2hrs on the phone today and it cant be certed for the cab swap as the cab tags dont match the mu chassis number

You need to talk to another cert guy. If you can build a trike or a space frame for a hot rod you can put rodeo cab on a Mu chassis!
daisy
Isuzu Senior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 am

I have talked to 5 cert people none of them can do it, they say it has to be revinned but both the mu and rodeo are still regod so i dont see the point in derego one of them to revinn it, rung vtnz for revin and they can only revin it as the original vechile not a custom built bits truck, afterall its a mu/rodeo/hilux/bighorn
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby dalebroughton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 am

isuzurob wrote:Hey dale how do you get on with wof for the rodeo cab swap, as i spent 2hrs on the phone today and it cant be certed for the cab swap as the cab tags dont match the mu chassis number
my cab tag is the one out of the mu cab and i get some not so legitamate wofs
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby dalebroughton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 am

daisy wrote:

You need to talk to another cert guy. If you can build a trike or a space frame for a hot rod you can put rodeo cab on a Mu chassis!
i agree i mean we have used factory parts i mean the suspention change shure but how is that different to putting coilovers in a car
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby dalebroughton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 am

isuzurob wrote:I have talked to 5 cert people none of them can do it, they say it has to be revinned but both the mu and rodeo are still regod so i dont see the point in derego one of them to revinn it, rung vtnz for revin and they can only revin it as the original vechile not a custom built bits truck, afterall its a mu/rodeo/hilux/bighorn
hmmmm i hope that isint the case i kind of didnt look into that when i done my cab give me a week and ill talk to as many certifyers as i can
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks see what you come up with, i asked cert guy to use mu tags and on cert put converted to ute, but he cant as its a body swap not a body cut
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby daisy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:50 pm

isuzurob wrote:I have talked to 5 cert people none of them can do it, they say it has to be revinned but both the mu and rodeo are still regod so i dont see the point in derego one of them to revinn it, rung vtnz for revin and they can only revin it as the original vechile not a custom built bits truck, afterall its a mu/rodeo/hilux/bighorn

What the prob with revinng it? More cost or is it there more that would have to be done to bring it up to today's standards?
daisy
Isuzu Senior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 pm

more cost when i have to trucks that are regod already, and revin is just that revinning something that was deregod, they cant change the identity of the vechile as the mu chassis number is never going to match up to a ute cab, i cant see why the cert guys cant just cert it as a mu with ute cab as body modification, but they are worried about numbers matching aswell, seems a cert just isnt worth the hassle was trying to own something legal though :)
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Ive made some enquirys on this and if anything usefull comes back I will let you know.
My father in law is in the Constructors car club
You could always swap the vin,chassis plates over from one firewall to the other and say that the firewall is still original Mu Then its only a part body swap
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:51 am

some info
Hi Dave
> This shouldnt be as curly as it seems. This guy is looking at putting a Rodeo cab on a
> Mu chassis The only thing stopping him is that they wont cert it as the chassis
> number/vin on the firewall wont match the one on the chassis. surely this comes up a
> lot on your kitsets.
> Have a look at he last dozen posts on this link for more info.

Hi Alan,

Someone is making a problem out of nothing here.
Why is anyone trying to do this without reading the Hobby Car Manual anyway?

Neither of my 'club' cars even had a VIN number at all to start with - nor do any other
scratch-built or kits jobs.
In my case, and after some discussion, the local testing station at Porirua allocated a
pro-forma VIN which enabled the certifier to complete the paper work - I suggest a read
of
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm- ... g-v3a4.pdf might go a wee way towards answering this
one.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

PreviousNext

Return to Members Rigs