• Advertisement

My 94 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Show us your Rig!

My 94 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby DAKARMU94 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:29 am

Hi guys, new to the group here.
I've got a 94 3.1L Turbo Diesel Mu. Got it about 3 years ago from Victoria and added plenty of modifications and just found out about this forum.
Mods:
2" suspension lift
Gabriel blue shocks
Straight through muffler and 2.5" tip
After-market torsion bars
Hydrogen kit (maybe)
LOKKA difs
LSD in back
Heavy duty lovells leaf spring suspension
ARB bullbar
9" LED spotties
23" LED light bar
42" LED light bar on roof
2x 4" wide angle bars (upgraded to 7" both sides)
Upgraded to LED DRL/indicators (not pictured)
Upgraded H7 Halogen lights
Train horn
Black bonnet protector
UHF aerial and radio
Snorkel
Uni-Filter air box
Dual battery set-up
Extra electric air con fan
After-market alternator
After-market radiator
Flares
93 MU side steps
After-market tail lights
Jerry can on spare tyre carrier
Rhino rack rails
Rhino rack cage
2x ARB awnings
Safety flag
2x 4" LED reverse lights
NEXEN AT tyres (upgrading to KO2's soon)
2x 7" camp lights on cage with switch panel and led strip on tail gate (not pictured)
Tekonsha trailer brake controller
Inclinometer
Tyre pressure monitor
Tinted windows
Anderson plug connection for dual batteries
Engel fridge in the back
Kicker speakers all around (and in tailgate)
LED foot-well lights
Heavy duty towbar kit
Kings Battery box
JBL blue-tooth radio
LED strip on back passenger window controlled by remote
Stuck on a 'Hybrid' sticker on the back. Ironic!

Just wanted to see what you guys think about the build and any suggestions of future mods. Also, where can I get one of those 'clubisuzu' stickers for the windscreen?
bnnnb.jpg

dftgfv.jpg

gyhgy.jpg

r45t6y7u.jpg

bnbv.jpg

gyuhugbnjm.jpg

iiioi.jpg

mmmk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DAKARMU94 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
DAKARMU94
Isuzu Baby

City: WA
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel Isuzu Mu

Re: My 3.1L Turbo Diesel Hybrid MU

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 am

Nice car. I was worried I would see Prius parts listed when I saw the hybrid logo. Whats the hydrogen kit?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: My 3.1L Turbo Diesel Hybrid MU

Postby DAKARMU94 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:11 pm

geeves wrote:Nice car. I was worried I would see Prius parts listed when I saw the hybrid logo. Whats the hydrogen kit?

Thanks, the Hybrid is just a joke placed next to the exhaust to add irony. Still haven't installed the hydrogen kit because I've been busy with exams but it's apparently supposed to reduce fuel consumption. We'll see if it pulls through
DAKARMU94
Isuzu Baby

Re: My 94 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby geeves » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 am

Is that the think thats also called a browns gas generator? Browns gas is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen created by electrolysising water (plus a little salt) into its 2 elements. The electricity comes from your alternator and that uses some energy. This energy minus any losses due to it never being a 100% conversion is returned when you burn the hydrogen. Ie you cannot get more than 100% back of what you put in. 90 - 95% is more realistic so on its own it will not save fuel. However the jury is still out on whether it helps catalyses your real fuel making it burn more efficiently. It might be like adding lpg to a diesel engine. It definitely burns better but it might also end up the other way.
I would do a bit more reading before fitting this
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby AusZuMu » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:50 am

Love it! Wish I had the 93 side steps.
Picking lines and stripping splines.
AusZuMu
Isuzu Baby

City: Canberra
Vehicle: 1995 ISUZU MU SWB 4GJ2T 2" susp. 265/75R16 ATs

Postby DAKARMU94 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:04 am

geeves wrote:Is that the think thats also called a browns gas generator? Browns gas is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen created by electrolysising water (plus a little salt) into its 2 elements. The electricity comes from your alternator and that uses some energy. This energy minus any losses due to it never being a 100% conversion is returned when you burn the hydrogen. Ie you cannot get more than 100% back of what you put in. 90 - 95% is more realistic so on its own it will not save fuel. However the jury is still out on whether it helps catalyses your real fuel making it burn more efficiently. It might be like adding lpg to a diesel engine. It definitely burns better but it might also end up the other way.
I would do a bit more reading before fitting this

Yeah, still doing research on it and haven't fitted it.
As far as fuel consumption, its currently averaging about 16L per 100km. Big improvement after new straight through exhaust system. Still working on lowering the consumption though.
DAKARMU94
Isuzu Baby

Postby DAKARMU94 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:10 am

AusZuMu wrote:Love it! Wish I had the 93 side steps.

Thanks! I also prefer the 93 steps, much better than the 94 modern looking ones.
DAKARMU94
Isuzu Baby

Postby wgripp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 am

That's a good looking MU!

Quick question: what's a straight through exahust system? Does that mean you removed the catalytic converter and the muffler, or does it mean you have a straight pipe without any bends going all the way to the back of the vehicle? Or is it just a straight-through muffler? (If it's a muffler, what model did you get?)

I also like your ARB bull bar. I've never seen one that wasn't painted black. Is that made of stainless steel or is just painted with a clear coat?

Also, do you have a website or part numbers for the after-market torsion bars, Gabriel blue shocks, or Uni-Filter air box?

Thanks!
Bill
wgripp
Isuzu Baby

City: Montana
Vehicle: J-Spec 1991 Isuzu Mu (aka Isuzu Amigo, aka Opel Frontera)

Postby handymanny01 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Hey Hey! Twins! nice truck man! here is my one (pre body lift)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
handymanny01
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 3.1 Direct injection 4JG1 conversion, Vf10 hybrid, ported wastegate, mild port head, custom 12mm pump, 3"dump and system, 3" inlet / pod filter, EGR delete, 2" body lift, 2" (ish) suspension lift, 33" on 15" steelies , recaro seats, nardi wheel,,, rear LSD , front "lokka"

Postby DakarMU » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 pm

wgripp wrote:That's a good looking MU!

Quick question: what's a straight through exahust system? Does that mean you removed the catalytic converter and the muffler, or does it mean you have a straight pipe without any bends going all the way to the back of the vehicle? Or is it just a straight-through muffler? (If it's a muffler, what model did you get?)

I also like your ARB bull bar. I've never seen one that wasn't painted black. Is that made of stainless steel or is just painted with a clear coat?

Also, do you have a website or part numbers for the after-market torsion bars, Gabriel blue shocks, or Uni-Filter air box?

Thanks!
Bill

Thanks Bill, I appreciate it.
Apologies for the late reply, I have been a little busy with uni lately so I forgot about this post. Now I have some time due to this ‘pandemic’ isolation.

The straight through system is a Lukey HIFLOW sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust all around (no cat converter because it’s an old diesel). It’s basically a much smaller muffler than the original with much less restrictions for the exhaust fumes to travel through. It has boosted performance and the tone sounds very nice in my opinion.

The torsion bars and leaf springs are from Lovells Suspension. An equally good and similar torsion bar is available from ironman4x4 (for Jackaroo 1992+) http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/tors ... rsion-bars

The bulbar is alloy. The uni-filter air box came with the MU when I purchased it from Victoria originally. I don’t remember which model number the Gabriel shocks were as I purchased them a couple years ago somewhere down south. I will check the shocks model number when I replace the brake pads soon and the uni-filter model.

Don’t hesitate to ask any further questions.
Thanks!
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Diesel Isuzu MU

Postby DakarMU » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 am

handymanny01 wrote:Hey Hey! Twins! nice truck man! here is my one (pre body lift)

Nice MU mate!
What size are those tyres?
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

Postby DakarMU » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 am

Hi guys,
A quick update on the MU.
I have added electric towing mirrors.
The large light bar on top of the bull bar has been taken down and replaced by a Lightforce 20" LED Single Row 100W light bar under the license plate lip. This gives a cleaner look as well as a better lighting angle.
I have some extra modifications in mind over the isolation period. Will be sure to post.
Also, I cannot access the previous account so I am using this one. This account is admin from now for this thread.
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

Postby topgun94 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:11 pm

WHAT MIRRORS ARE THOSE?!
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby DakarMU » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 pm

topgun94 wrote:WHAT MIRRORS ARE THOSE?!

Hi mate,
I couldn't find any towing mirrors for Mu, Amigo, Rodeo TF, Trooper etc. so I got some Nissan Patrol GU Y60 towing mirrors. The original dimensions for the Y60 mirror plate is slightly different to the MU plate (taller and thinner). I got 3mm Black Flat Acrylic Sheet from Bunnings and made a Mu base with 3 holes for the patrol bolts to go through. I also widened one of the screw holes (mirror frame in door) as it was too small. After running the cable through the base, the patrol mirror bolts on (I used silicon and rubber seal to create a water proof seal between the acrylic 3mm base and mirror). Then I just matched the 3 wires to the existing Mu ones and they operate electrically through the centre console controls.
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

Postby arymatel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Nice setup!
arymatel
Isuzu Baby

City: Adelaide
Vehicle: 2016 Isuzu MU-X LS-M

Postby handymanny01 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:57 pm

DakarMU wrote:
handymanny01 wrote:Hey Hey! Twins! nice truck man! here is my one (pre body lift)

Nice MU mate!
What size are those tyres?

Thanks man! the tyres are 33 x 12.5 took a little angle grinder action on front guards to make them fit... but now with the body lift, it clears everywhere, even with drastically trimmed bump stops...
handymanny01
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 3.1 Direct injection 4JG1 conversion, Vf10 hybrid, ported wastegate, mild port head, custom 12mm pump, 3"dump and system, 3" inlet / pod filter, EGR delete, 2" body lift, 2" (ish) suspension lift, 33" on 15" steelies , recaro seats, nardi wheel,,, rear LSD , front "lokka"

Postby DakarMU » Wed May 13, 2020 5:07 am

Hi guys,
Thought I'd give some updates and prior work explanations.
I've got new aggressive all terrains, replaced the rear leaf spring bushes, replaced the worn break pads and got an alignment done while I was at it. I've already changed the headlights to blue H4 bulbs and new housing around 3 years ago but I figured I'd go after the LED CREE headlights with the DRL as well. Just waiting on those to arrive. I'd also like some lights under the awnings.

Older mods:
1. Dual battery setup.
My setup functions on a heavy-duty solenoid drawing power from the main batter. It then directs that power to an Anderson outlet that I've setup on the wall behind the driver's seat. The port above it is just a 12V cig connector. Another Anderson plug cable connects to that connector and draws power to the boot where I've got another battery (for camping). I've decided to keep the main Anderson (main battery power draw) behind the driver's seat due to it's easy accessibility and ease of directing power at any angle or outside the car (to battery box) if need be. I've installed a 12V switch panel to the tail gate between the speakers. This is connected to the second battery in back through Anderson plugs. The switch panel is connected to the 2 rear light bars on the roof cage and the 2 LED strips on the tail gate (one has it's connection ripped out because of the dog so only one is working in the pic). These strips are controlled with the remote for any colour. The solar panel is connected to the solar controller through an Anderson plug and then another plug from the controller directs converted power to the second battery. I've used Anderson plugs because I find them convenient and plug and play. I've also installed an LED strip on the right side window (just drawing power from the existing light). I've slipped the IR blaster between the plastic wall and carpet so the controller reaches it.

2. I've changed the bull bar indicator lights to LED ones with added DRL's. Just added a pair of resistors so the indicator returned to normal speed.

20200508_151905.jpg

20200503_172535.jpg

20200504_085722.jpg

20200511_224225.jpg

20200511_224819.jpg

20200511_224336.jpg

20200511_224839.jpg

20200511_224451.jpg

Let me know if you want any other mods explained. I'm changing the coolant hoses all around and an old hand brake cable soon so I'll keep updated.
Last edited by DakarMU on Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

Postby DakarMU » Wed May 13, 2020 5:10 am

A few extra pics that couldn't fit in the last one:
20200511_224544.jpg

20200511_225046.jpg

20200504_090041.jpg

20200507_161728.jpg
DakarMU
Isuzu Baby

Postby outbackbrett » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:16 pm

hi trying to find them rear tail lights but no luck can you remember where you got them from
outbackbrett
Isuzu Baby

City: Adelaide
Vehicle: 1994 mu 3.1 turbo diesel

Postby stardog » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:18 pm

Try eBay i have the same tail lights from there if i remember they fit a tf rodeo 88-96.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Return to Members Rigs