• Advertisement

Aft differential oil leak, d-max 4x4

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Aft differential oil leak, d-max 4x4

Postby anode36 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:15 pm

Good day.
Never worked on the drive system on my d-max 4x4, 2009 model until now, but recently, after some longer trips, oil leak has appeared from the aft differential. Oil seeps out from between where the differential flange assembly connects to the universal joint (with 4 bolts). After some research, I'm quit sure the only source of this is a pinion oil seal leak, but all examples I have found out there explain such leak with oil leaking from between the assembly and diff on the aft side of the flange. For my case there are no signs of leak on the outside of the seal itself and the differential casing is completely dry. Not very familiar with the internals and how the shaft passes through the diff casing, but I guess oil may as well leak out there by way of the inside of the seal and through that flange nut. Then oil can emerge at the seats between the flanges, as in my case. Just need to have some experienced advice before I start to dissemble and change the seal, and also if this specific leak issue may be a sign of some other more complicated damage to the differential and drive pinion shaft system.

Change the seal seems like an easy job, but don't want to wast time on this if there could be more extensive issues involved that need to be done by a workshop.

lekkasje2.jpg

lekkasje1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anode36
Isuzu Baby

City: Fredrikstad
Vehicle: Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DiTD 4x4, (4JJ1-TC), 2009

Re: Aft differential oil leak, d-max 4x4

Postby pig75 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:41 am

I would say the pinion nut might be a bit loose or the breather is blocked
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Re: Aft differential oil leak, d-max 4x4

Postby anode36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:27 am

Thanks for the response pig75. You were probably right about the breather, took it off and it was completely blocked by rust. Unfortunately, saw your post too late and had already dismantled and removed the oil seal, which was ok and without leaks. Anyway, a new oil seal and breather valve is now in place and the the leak is gone.
anode36
Isuzu Baby

City: Fredrikstad
Vehicle: Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DiTD 4x4, (4JJ1-TC), 2009

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension