• Advertisement

Water Leaking In

For faults and questions about your body and chassis

Water Leaking In

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi all...

I have a problem where I am getting a lot of water leaking into the front drivers and passengers side (when it rains obviously), coming in from under the dash somewhere onto the ground. On the passengers side I noticed it coming in through the top of the blower motor, then onto the ground. On the drivers side it is dropping straight down on the right foot.

- I first thought it was the front screen, as it had been replaced in the past and I have noticed some small rust spots appearing around the edges of the screen. I have pulled the rubber back and applied some window sealant - it either didn't fix it or is not related to this altogether as nothing changed.

- I read about the front gutter, just in front and below the front screen, getting full of crap over the years that can cause this similar issue. I removed the wipers and unscrewed the top cover to this but can't really see much as there are other things blocking the view below this. Question being - how do I clear this out properly? Do I need to remove the side fender and access it that way?

I don't really want to pull the front screen out and reseal it as that sounds like a bitch of a job, so hopefully I can get some good ideas from you chaps.

Anything else that can be recommended to check would be great - thanks in advance :)
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: Water Leaking In

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:13 pm

Do you have a sunroof? the drains are notorious for blocking up which causes leaks. Otherwise the location suggests either a leak from the windscreen of the tray infront of the windscreen that takes air into the heater. The check the heater duct run a hose into this area for 30 minutes or so. Does it leak standing or driving? My old bighork only leaked driving. Turned out to be the join between inner and outer guards. A pig to fix
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:09 am

Hey geeves - thanks for the info!

No I don't have a sunroof.

When I give it a clean I have noticed some small drops but nothing crazy.

I will try the hose in the gutter area for 30 min and come back with the results.
Have you ever pulled a front screen out or is this a glassy job?

Thanks again!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:11 pm

Do you have full insurance? Easiest way to get a windscreen out is to drive down a stoney road with a logging truck going the other way.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Body and Chassis